View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Playing the horse event at WSOP Europe tomorrow, need help.

If you can read Ray Zee's book between now and tomorrow, do so. I'm guessing this isn't going to happen, so I'll see what I can do for you here. This is advice geared towards someone who has a tournament tomorrow and can afford to play really tight during the stud/8 round because he plays well the other 80% of the time. Please bear in mind that I had the largest margarita I have ever seen with supper tonight.

Trouble hands to avoid: pairs other than Ace-Ace-baby. Other big pairs are fine when the low hands bust out. If you can get KK heads-up with a low hand or a weaker high hand, do so. Otherwise, you're probably best off passing. Small pair/small kicker hands are OK, but they look better than they really are. Look to get in cheap and get hit hard.

You should probably avoid three-card Eights unless the other cards are an Ace and a wheel card. 876 is a decent starter, though.

You should probably avoid three-card flushes that don't have two cards Eight or lower. No more than one of your suit should be out unless you have a three-card low.

I wouldn't worry too much about bring-in "defense" with hands you wouldn't ordinarily play. Hopefully, it won't be a big factor, and the risk-to-reward ratio is often very unfavorable in such circumstances. If you're going to play in tough cash games, you need to worry about scenarios where you put in a lot of chips mostly hoping to get your money back. I wouldn't in this particular case.