View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Playing Limit

[ QUOTE ]
Kurn, umm I don't have a pair on the river, I have the nuts.

Selling, thanks for the advice. Your last paragraph is what I'm really struggling with in my head though. I just can't wrap my mind around both players playing correctly because it seems like the only thing that separates the winning players from the losing players then is variance which in the long term is supposed to even out, therefore that makes everyone who can count odds and outs a winner which is probably more than half the poker playing community, which makes this impossible. Sorry this is just weird poker theory stuff I'm making up.

Anyways, in the hand above UTG had J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for 2 pair and UTG+2 had Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the turned straight. We all played this hand correctly except for UTG on the river I suppose. I'll have to think about this some more, weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many poker players think they understand concepts but apply them horribly. And you are absolutely correct that variance can be a huge part of limit games, and you now know why. I don't frequent the limit forums, but this is the crux of why winrates are so thin relative to big bet games.

And yeah I've struggled with the same concepts too - I basically don't ever play LHE for a reason.