View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Philosophy majors?

[ QUOTE ]
I majored in both phil and econ...both worthless without post-undergrad work. I loved phil and when it came time to decide what to do with myself, I had a hard time deciding between law school and getting a doctorate in philosophy. I really wanted to teach, but I also wanted to go into law. I chose law school, but I may still go back to school for philosophy one day and start teaching.

Anyway, do what you love, you'll figure out the rest later.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly the way i was looking at it, and your experience makes me a lot more comfortable with going ahead and switching my major over to philosophy... it seems obvious from everyones answers that just a 4 year degree in philosophy will be fairly worthless job wise, but i think by the time i graduate it seems i will have the option to persue either teaching or law school, both things i could see myself enjoying.

if anyone has information about difficulties in or things i should plan on if i intend on going to law school or persuing a career in academia after i graduate with a degree in philosophy, i would love to hear all opinions.

thanks so much to anyone whose posted their thoughts already, and too anyone who shares their opinions after this.