View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Home game ruling - was this guy a douche?

[ QUOTE ]
I consider a hand as being "folded " when a player tosses it away. Like into the middle of the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to think that, too, until I caused quite a stir by mucking a hand tabled in such a manner, by none other than a dealer (who has gone on to be a major PITA, violating every bit of ethics and manners imaginable, but I digress)... and I was told that a tabled hand, regardless of where it lands, is live. Players throw their cards into the board all of the time, part of some insecurity thing where they have to overcompensate by flagrantly displaying how big their hand is, yaaaahar!

[ QUOTE ]
But, with no other action by the player I would then rely on which way the cards landed, face up or down, to determine if it was a call or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
When this happens, I raise my hands and let the player decide what he does with his cards. I'm usually sure what he wanted to do based on his body language, but it's about 50/50 table/muck when it happens.

[ QUOTE ]
I think we would all agree if his cards landed face down that he would have folded.

[/ QUOTE ]
If at showdown a player throws his cards and they flip in the air and land face-down, the player should immediately clarify his intent. I always ask.

I'm a big fan of going with intent. In the middle of betting, if a player throws his cards forwards, that's an insta-muck by me. He intended to fold, and if he changes his mind, too bad. At showdown, other emotions take over, and people handle their cards differently. They get thrown a lot, and flip on their own. Unless they're very simply tossed forward face-down at a low trajectory, it can't always be clearly determined intent, and the player needs to clarify the action.

[ QUOTE ]
If I was dealing a game and a player tossed his hand into the middle of the table, and it landed face up, and he said "take it" I would be confused. ... I would stop the action right there and ask him what he is doing.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is exactly what should be done. But "should" very often doesn't align with reality. In the absence of clarification, cards speak. And if someone tables a hand and then folds it, DO NOT show your hand if it can't beat his, as he still had tabled a hand and technically made a claim. When a rule is open to interpretation, awarding the pot to the player with the best hand is rarely wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll repeat that I'm talking about cash games in the above. Not a tournament. Tpournament rules state an all in player must table his hand and the best hand wins. So in the OP Adolf wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. We both understand that tournaments are held to different standards than cash games, but usually tournaments are stricter. You seem to be wanting to make cash games stricter, whereas I feel cash games should be more flexible for clarification of intent, rather than strict adherence to a specific procedure.

What I've said is 100% correct with regards to how we run things in my cardroom, and how I run things in my home. This may not be true everywhere.