View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: The Dids theory of human [censored]-upery.

I WILL NOT GET DRAWN IN, I WILL NOT GET DRAWN IN,

since no one else has mentioned it, though, i will comment.

people who make the arguments about things like dark matter/energy, or undiscovered yet predicted quantum particles as proof that scientists believe in non-provable facts are being utterly stupid. Both of these ideas are scientific theories, which, while perhaps considered by many scientists to be accurate, are not yet considered proven statements of fact. More relevently, many scientists are working very diligently to test these theories, so that they can either be validated, or discarded in favor of newer, better theories.

To go further, the analogy continues to fall apart when you consider that both dark matter and the higgs bosun are considered such likely theories because they fit well in accordance to what other, already proven theories or equations say about the universe. These theories replaced older, outdated theories based on new empirical data and/or theoretical deduction. While two thousand years ago christianity did graft itself onto contemporary religious thought, its hardly the same thing.

Its also fairly shortsighted to claim that belief is enough to justify itself. Merely believing in something does not make it okay to hold that belief. White supremecists "believe" they are the superiour race, some people believe that one should pay ones taxes, and some in the current administration believe their war in iraq is justified. None of these beliefs are validated simply because they are held by someone. It is critical in our society that we hold up all beliefs to a very thorough examination, and determine what, if any, potential benefit they hold for humanity, and how we can morph these beliefs into something more appropriate for our culture. Organized religion not only fails to make these changes, its utterly refuses to be held up for any sort of examination at all.

damn, i done got drawn in.

pjn