View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: The Dids theory of human [censored]-upery.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And the only reason anyone believes there is no God is because they haven't been properly trained. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] God!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't see the point in believing in God if you had to be "trained" to do so, that just sounds like brainwashing to me.

Dids,

[ QUOTE ]
is our utter inability to accept that there are things that we do not know. We suffer such discomfort in these situations, that we grasp for explanations that may not make the most sense, but make us feel the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can think of organized religion as an answer to your question - generally accepted and agreed upon answers for some of our most pressing (and still unanswered) questions: what happens when to me when I die? how did we come to be?

Your question assumes that many people find religion comforting. Religion isn't always comforting. Many religions have destroyer gods and apocolyptic ends to the world - the Norse religion held that the side of good would lose at the final battle. Additionally, much of Christianity is centered around what can be viewed almost as threats - behave in this way or suffer punishment (this is more true of the Old Testament God, but Hell is still Hell right?)

OK I lost my train of thought here, I think it was that these aspects of religion aren't very comforting, but then I realized that to some they may still be more comforting than not knowing.