View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Re: I can’t stop playing poker

Wow, I must say, I never expected to get so many responses; This thread certainly seems to have taken on a life of its own.

I get the impression that a lot of people have things to say about addiction and/or obsession with poker. I think it is really great that people have shared their stories, which will now be read by beginners on this forum, who potentially could fall into the same trap.

Particular thanks to:

Nybbles_64 and RyverRat for some good tips (although thanks to RyverRat my fiancée now wants 10% of my winnings).

Foolgizaki, Doc T River, pepitannikita for contribution of your own poker stories. Doc I've took a note on those books you suggested and I think your story portrayed a good message about will power (lol just wrote "will poker" ; that's when you know you have a problem). pepitannikita I appreciate the time you took to write all that, you've suggested so many ideas and made me take addiction more seriously.

Thanks MikeBandy for the link to godot's thread. I think there's some parallel between our stories (despite his story being way more serious!). Being a poor student living on baked beans and noodles for so long has made me really value my money. And I think the excitement that some people get from $5/10 games or whatever, I get from the microstakes - and with it comes the possibility of addiction and self destruction.

I think Poker Clif's posts made it clear that there are still other people too, who take the small games really seriously.

Anyway before this feels too much like an award speech. I have my first update:
----

So far I have not played any poker since making the first post and have agreed with myself to not play until christmas and only if I have set strict times and amounts that I am confident I will stick to.

I have also registered with my universities' counselling service.

It's early days at the moment but I am feeling confident.

Thanks again,