View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: (razz) Why do they bet here? What should I do?

[ QUOTE ]
also, if you've put in tens of thousands of hands at 1/2 and are at least breaking even, the rake is killing you. move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about Rusty, but if I ever put in "tens of thousands" of hands at 1/2 without making enough bankroll to move up, I'll kill myself.

I also wasn't targeting you, BTW. People who "get it" are just better. You are better because of that. I believe I get Razz in a way I never got hold 'em. But you have the advantage of much greater experience. You can read all the books, I try to, but for me it doesn't stick until I screw it up.

Example of bad play because of inexperience:

I played on PStars 1/2 today and was doing OK. Then I was in a hand with two other players. I was in the middle. First guy caught good, I caught good, third guy caught a Q. First guy bets, (I have like 3A46) and I DIDN'T RAISE. Of course, the Queen called, me and the other good guy both bricked the next two streets and the Queen won when we folded.

Stupid. You raise to get the high card out because he has to face two bets. This is a mistake you wouldn't make in a million years now. And neither would SG. But you might have made at 1/2 few times. I have played this correctly before - but - I am coming off a real bad losing streak. So, I just called - getting too cowardly to risk my money. That won't happen again, I hope.

Higher stakes, for the most part, are earned. Fish at higher stakes are there because they have money and didn't earn the Seat, they bought it. (Not saying they didn't earn the money.)

I think you are very good, Adanthar, because you earned it. You get it. You have the experience, the "poker maturity" that keeps you from serious tilt. The good sense to know we don't win that often because we are so smart, but because we get a little luck and our opponent is not so good.

A long time ago in a universe far, far....well, anyway - I used to be a cop. I was considered to be pretty good at it - had a great arrest record all that. But I knew my "success" was because I had good relations with support staff who'd go to great lengths to find info for me. Citizens trusted me with information. And mostly, because bad guys are generally as dumb as a box o' rocks.

I wasn't tougher or any of that TV crap. I just "got" policework.

Ya want to know why rookies are not as good as experienced cops? They don't know what to kiss off; they don't know when to fold.

prax<---garrously rambling to avoid yardwork