View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Quit poker because of bad luck?

Cliff notes - wah, wah, wah.

Ok I'll bite. Don't know if it's a joke, but it's a timely post for me. I've played a lot of live poker and it's so ridiculous that I can remember the exact two times the deck has hit me in the face this year. I've lost count of the amount of sessions where I was card dead or ran stupid bad. The scale is so one sided it defies the logic that luck balances out.

Same with online. I run ahead to a certain amount and like clockwork, come back down and stay in a range. Beat all the shortstacks, but lose to all the big stacks when AI. Not losing overall but far from a big winner.

The problem for me is that I know one thing is true when it comes to playing poker seriously. If you don't have the discipline to sit down at the table and just fold, or to take a ridiculous run of sick beats in stride, you can't beat the game. There will be plenty of sessions like that and the inability to deal with it means you're not cut out for it.

My problem lately is maintaining the desire to maintain that discipline. I'm just really tired of not getting my fair share of luck. Let alone a good run. It's frustrating. Actually, it's demoralizing.

I've never been one to tilt. I get up and walk away before I tilt off my stack. Lately though I've found myslef making -EV plays because I figure I'm due to for my fair share of good luck. The thoughts of an uninformed, undisciplined amature. I realize that when I start thinking like that, I've been beaten down pretty good. It's demoralizing.

Good news is everything else in life could always be better, but it's good.

As I'm about to submit, I'm thinking "probably a really bad post." What the hell. It's the truth. GL OP. It happens to everyone.