View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Some thoughts/clarifications

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly laughed a little when I read Nielsio's reply in the other thread about how he would handle the rape hypothetical. Like, it really made me smile. Even though I philosophically agree that the freedom to carry guns as you wish is good for all the reasons you guys say it's good, having grown up in Joeshmoeville, Massachusetts, real world, 1983-present AD, I admit that a culture without gun laws (while objectively better) is not an idea I like.

So it seems silly to "support" something that I myself am not comfortable with and maybe never could be comfortable with. I admit the discomfort is a result of culturally indoctrinated bias. But that bias is not without significance to me. It's a part of me. And I'm comfortable with nature, rather than change of sentiment, correcting whatever burden the bias brings. Correcting it myself feels like a waste of life to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that you're comfortable with it, but all your posts lately say something different. I would encourage you to keep chugging at it until you finally have a peace of mind.

[ QUOTE ]
You can say I "should" learn about guns and become comfortable with them, since I realize that philosophically that's a "better" way to live. But basically, I don't think I should have to. If I feel like the good of breaking the bias doesn't outweigh the cost, then to me, a world that forces me to break the bias is not one I "support."

Why should I martyr myself to be an objectively good person when I can't be sure everyone else will do the same? Is that actually good? It seems destructive. Maybe I'll spend a lot of time, money, and effort breaking my biased aversion to guns, but what makes me think the progressive [censored] from Berkley California isn't working to break his bias that tells him taxation is effective?

So basically, if I can't guarantee you're not gonna be a dick to me, then I reserve the right to be a dick to you. Hence, the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is extremely honest of you. Well done. And yes, I completely feel your pain of waking up to a society that has betrayed you.

[ QUOTE ]
I can look at the state and agree "Ya, that sucks, we're all dicks." But having these biases that are instilled in me at no fault of my own, it doesn't make sense to me to say "Now I don't want the state." That seems like destruction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really hurts your identity doesn't it? But on the other hand you're finally starting to HAVE an identity. This is brilliant.

"[Neo] My eyes hurt. [Morpheus] That's because you've never used them before".
-The Matrix