View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Career Question- State School vs. Big Private

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the name/reputation of your school matter. Yes, your GPA matters.

But 100 times out of 100, I'm gonna take the higher GPA, lower cost, much better weather, and much much more fun with my friends route of Clemson over Cornell. And it isn't even close.

I worked moderately hard and partied a lot in college -- best time of my life. Now I'm working my ass off in grad school, having little to no fun. Sure I'm getting a PhD from a top program, but in the end, how much is that going to benefit me financially? Probably very little. In industry, it's slightly different, but don't short yourself on "the college experience" for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're a current college undergraduate, print Wyman's post out and stick it to your dorm room wall.

I took a calculated gamble during my undergraduate years (though I wasn't thinking that way at the time). I gambled that I was smart enough to have the absolute time of my life in college while still getting grades that were good - maybe not world-beating, but good enough to get a good first job.

I won the gamble, but looking back, it was only because I've got a natural head for numbers and formulas, so ChE was never the ball-buster for me that it is for so many.

If you've got that same sort of DNA, then it's a winning gamble, and you'd be well-advised not to pass it up. Go where you'll get the most out of these 4 years, even if it's not a "name" school.

If you're not, and you don't feel like you "get" engineering, then it doesn't matter whether you go to Cornell, Clemson or Case Western, you'll more than likely be miserable and your GPA will stink as well. Just a word of warning.

Mook