View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: why does this forum care so much about religion

[ QUOTE ]
Of course not. Not yet. But wait until the first Atheist Docrine is written and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understand what an atheist is. There is no doctrine to 'not believing there is proof for a supernatural god.'

If you found that Stalin didn't believe in the Tooth Fairy, would you then conclude that the atrocities he committed were due to his lack of believe in tooth loving fairies?

Is there a code of unified beliefs about how to act in the world that comes out of all people who don't believe in the Tooth Fairy?

[ QUOTE ]
I might claim that the reason that the soviet union, headed by an Atheist, tortured and murdered so many, some of whom did believe in God, was because Stalin did not believe in God and didn't want anyone else too because he found religion dangerous so he murdered those that believed...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing about Atheism that leads one to act as Stalin did. If you want examples look to 99.9% of atheists who don't act like or support the actions of Stalin.

[ QUOTE ]
I might claim this, I can't prove this, even though there is probably some truth to it, but you can't disprove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can't disprove he didn't act that way because aliens were controlling him from flying saucers in outerspace... therefore we need to give the idea considerable merit.

None of your examples qualify. There are no doctrines to atheism. It is simply someone who doesn't believe there is sufficient reason to believe in an all powerful God.

None of the examples you listed are driven by such beliefs. Atheism isn't needed to explain their actions. It is merely your conjecture for which you admit you have no evidence.

On the other hand, one need only look at history and find that religious people have and DO currently murder and kill specifically because of their religious doctrine.

No such firm examples exist for atheists.