View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: why do you like the music you like?

Good post, Pharcyde. One of things I like about rap (at least in theory) is that it takes lyrics seriously, more so than rock or pop or country usually do.

One thing that comes with my lyric-centric view is that I have an appreciation for a wide variety of styles and uses of lyrics. It's not as though I have a fixed idea of what "good lyrics" means, and I dismiss any song that doesn't qualify. When I hear a new song, I have an irresistible compulsion to memorize every word, and it forces me to get acquainted with a lot of different... I guess 'personalities' is the word I'm looking for. And when you pay that much attention to something, you can't help but start to feel a connection to the writer. It's a fun thing.

But whatever, I know I'm in the minority, and it's not as though I hate music for its own sake. I have nothing but love for the songs istewart mentioned. (And it's not as though The Decemberists don't know their way around a pen; I think I may have to fight you to have that song on my side of this dichotomy.)