View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Learning to communicate

[ QUOTE ]
Whereas, in conversation there's no time to organize; it's just assumed that people's thoughts are already in a form that is digestible by others. And I don't think mine are. I have to translate my thoughts into English, if that makes sense (not that I think in Polish or Spanish or something, it's just that I don't think of my thoughts as 'words') It's as though anything I put down on paper (or electronic text) is a pale imitation of the real ideas I had, and yet it doesn't seem as though it's this way for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, interesting. Did you see the documentary on the guy who kept numbers in his brain as shapes? He knew pi to thousands of places, all stored as a shape landscape. He visited New York City or somewhere, and he felt uncomfortable, like he was surrounded by the number 9 (which was big to him).

Anyway, I think you need to practice "translating" and finding your own code. Work up from "slow" social situations, like a few people sitting around a camp fire where periods can go by without much being said. Or hang around some friends who don't speak real fast so it's not hard "to get in a word edgewise." Improve from there. Do you have a friend you can "practice" talking with? He/she should allow lots of gaps/silence and waiting time. This part is in and of itself very uncomfortable for some people.