View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

1. How you are currently improving your game

I have been working on a strategy of dealing with light 3-bettors that is non-standard, but not going into it here. It is player dependent and my range of monsters-to-draws-to-weak made hands/weak draws is balanced such that they are up against a hand that has them fairly well matched on average but contains draws enough so their EV is closer to neutral if they play the hand well, and losing money when making mistakes. I also discuss strategy and interesting hands with the person who taught me the game.

2. Your poker goals.

I would like to at some stage play comfortably on the 1k tables (currently on 200nl and 400nl - depending on fishiness)

A specific goal that I have is bluffing spots where I am occasionally too passive. I realise that one 'good' bluff from a tight player at the right spot every so often against the right player can be extremely profitable. I know I don't do this too much cuz until 200nl most players are not really thinking much, but now at 400nl, there are a few of them here and there.

Another goal is using reads. I often go by stats, and I find at 400nl occasionally there is a good player who I can't get a handle on. This doesn't happen often at all, and never really at 200nl or lower.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings

I moved up to 200nl 6.5 months ago and play a little 400nl but mostly 200nl. In 6.5 months, my earnings have far surpassed my expectations since moving up to 200nl. At 200nl I ran around 6ptbb's for 5 months until the break even stretch which started about 7 weeks ago and ended about 10 days ago. Poker earnings in 5 months prior to 6 week break even stretch is 40k (includes rake/bonuses/etc).

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

I find that most people on 2p2 are pretty bad with advice and for that reason I don't bother sharing in-depth knowledge when I get nothing out of it. I also suspect that of the few people who can offer a good deep discussion on certain difficult spots often don't go into their thought process because of the same reasons. It would be good to find people who are actually competent to discuss these things with, but for that reason, I have no good strategy posts.

5. A little about yourself.

Went back to uni at 25 for a new career. Finished at 28, did very well for a couple of years before going on a world backpacking trip. 3 months before leaving, quit my job & took up a close friend's offer who had been playing for a number of years to teach me poker. On his bankroll advice (after making 20 buy-ins and feeling confident and having min 20 buy-ins at the new level, I could move up - If I am under 20 buy-ins, move down) I went through 10nl in 3 weeks, 25nl in 3 weeks, 50nl in 3 weeks, then at 100nl for the last 2 weeks before the trip. I gave up on traveling (found I hate backpacking) after 2-3 months and settled in asia and played. This was the time I tried a lot of new things like raising every hand I play in any position (or fold), raising 100% on the button, etc to see how it affects my image. I went back and forth from 50nl to 100nl for a lot of months while learning about image and game style. Finally I realised how to put all this into a good combination and that worked well. I stayed at 100nl for a while cuz it was comfortable. That brings me to 6.5 months ago where I moved up to 200nl and have been doing very well since then at 200nl and 400nl.

Note - My play is pretty tight - 18/15 - and I find this to be very profitable. I like the image and the FE it comes with. I think adding many more hands just means more marginal hands, and also then I will have a slightly less tighter image and obv less FE. Can you deal with this? If not, I'm prob not your man.

Cheers,
Jack