View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Ahmadinejad Ground Zero request

I am a politics forum newbie, please help me keep this thread on track because i find this topic very interesting. Hopefully you will too.

Iran's controversial President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has made a request to visit Ground Zero during his trip to NYC next week. Every politician under the sun has condemned his request, and it was denied by the NYC Police Department under the grounds that it is a construction zone off limits to everyone. According to the Iranian mission Ahmadinejad wants to pay his respects by laying a reef.

"It is appalling that President Ahmadinejad, one of the world's leading sponsors of terror, would find it appropriate to visit this hallowed ground," State Department spokesman Tom Casey said.

only problem with that thought process is:

1) al Qaeda is a Sunni movement which opposes Iran's [censored] government. Iran's government has imprisoned numerous al Qaeda operatives, and there is rumor that they have actually cooperated behind the scenes with prisoner exchanges in partnership with the US.
2) Iran was a partner with the US in the Afghanistan raids to topple the Taliban
3) Mohammed Khatami condemned the bombing of the towers on 9/11
4) If there ever was an opportunity to reason with Ahmadinejad, this is it.

Yes its offensive to the average American, but am i the only one who sees the benefits of communication with Ahmadinejad? Something tells me I am probably standing alone in my belief that we have more to gain than lose by allowing him to visit the trade center.

On a related note there is nothing stopping him that I am aware of from entering the PATH station which is part of Ground Zero. If Ahmadinejad wants to he could ignore the snub and lay his wreath anyway so isn't this all a bit ridiculous?

Whats your opinion?