View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Another Stupid Peace Initiative for Israel/Arabs

[ QUOTE ]
In the 1993 Oslo accords, the Arabs welch on the deal by refusing to honor the terms while accepting the land-for-peace (the Gaza strip) that Israel gave. Hamas has rejected the Oslo accords while at the same time accepting the land that Israel gave up.... Again, I admire Hamas for their honesty as oppose to the lies from Fatah.

Land for peace has never worked with the Arabs, yet Bush is STUUU-PID enough to believe it will work this time...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your first paragraph. Most Israelis see very little difference in practice between Hamas and Fatah. They have both been as active as each other in terrorism against Israelis, however at least Hamas is honest about its beliefs and vision of the future. Fatah, with its leaders welcomed in international circles and having been labeled a possible peace "partner", are trying to be seen as respectable at the same time as they continue to use terror against Israeli ciivlians. The only reason they "recognised" Israel was because they were virtually dead before Oslo and saw it as a way to return to the Palestinian terrtories from exile and to regain the power they once had. They did this superbly with Fatah surpressing Palestinians and stealing huge amounts of money sent for their aid. Their plan of destruction by stages was a realisation that they would never win a military victory against Israel.

Regarding land for peace, I disagree. The peace deal between Israel and Egypt was based on this premise and Israel withdrew from its settlements in the Sinai. Egypt was thrown out of the Arab league for this, consistent with Arab states principles of not making any deals with Israel and only considering force as a way of regaining Arab land which continues to this day. Of course, Sadat, after becoming the first Arab leader to visit Jerusalem and speak in the Knesset and finalising the peace deal to return all captured Egyptian territory, was assasinated.