View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Lucky? I got a DUI, then..*Edited*

Here's a little background about myself..I had no criminal record (to my knowledge), I was on probabtion for a year and had to complete one hundred hours of community service for "assault with a dangerous weapon," and the Massachusetts courts said that my record would be cleaned as long as I stayed out of trouble while I was on probation and finished the community service hours, which I did..

A little more than three months ago I moved down to Greenville,NC to live with a friend of mine who goes to ECU..my plan was to go to community college and work, party, etc..I had been down there for a few weeks and got a DUI..I got the cops attention by going the wrong way on a one way street after dropping off someone at the corner of it (so I was going the wrong way for like two seconds), bottom line I F'd up..I either wasn't doing the breathalizer correct or the cop wasn't happy with the reading he was getting so after the third time he said that I was "refusing the breathalizer and automically lost my license for one year," at that point I became pissed and it called killed my buzz for good because I was trying to blow into the thing..at this point he took me to the hospital where I took a blood test (three monts later and I still don't know what my BAC level was and I guess it can take up to six months)..so the charges I got were: underage DUI,open container and "wreckless driving"..the next night I got a "drinking ticket," for drinking on a bus..kind of a slap on the wrist but still doesn't look good nonetheless..

Fast forward four weeks..I'm chillin out with some friends at a restaurant drinking a few brews but I end up getting a little ticked off because we were suppose to go to a party but all they want to do is chill and watch a soccer game and since we have MLB extra innings at the house I decide to take my case of Bud Select from my friends car and walk one mile to a mile and a half to our house and just watch the baseball games..I'm from MA and a pretty diehard sox fan..anyways, so I end up leaving the house having probably only four beers over the course of a couple hours to get some snacks..on the way back from the store a cop notices me wearing no seatbelt and pulls me over..I'm honest with him from the get-go telling him that I got a DUI less than a month ago..at that time he tells me that he smells alcohol on my breath and that he's going to call for a breathalizer..

At this time he tells me to get out of the car and I'm thinking F here we go again but all he has me do is sit in the front sit of his SUV..when the cop with the breathalizer comes I end up blowing a 0.03 and they talk it over (pretty much talking about whether they're going to F me over or not), so the cop seats in the front seat and tells me that I need to call a friend to pick up my car..the ticket read "alcohol still in system," but I was obviously never arrested or even put into handcuffs and from what I've heard I probably should've been looking at a mandatory sentence of sixty days if not more because I was driving with a revoked license and underage when both things happend..has something similiar happend to anyone? Did I get extremely lucky or is this pretty standard since I only blew a 0.03 (which is still above the legal limit since I was under the age of twenty-one when it happend).

I ended up getting a lawyer and moving back home..all said and done I'll lose my license for no more than a year, won't be on probabtion, won't have to go back down to NC for court and will have to take some drunk-driving courses here in MA..my lawyer got it continued until the BAC test results come back.