View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: NL400 - River trips vs. loose-passive insta-shove

Well, I suspect that you moved up a little too fast. You learn new skills at each level, and moving up through 4 levels in 5 months doesn't offer much time to learn. I think without coaching, most people move up every 3-6 months (or less frequently), and in NL, this can end up costing you ALOT when you hit a little variance and don't have a solid foundation to keep your variance from destroying you entirely.

What I found was that once I got to 400nl, the players were a little polarized into two types:
1. players that know what they are doing (low-ish vpip, high pfr, high 3-b, aggro but not maniac style) who make money off people making fundamental mistakes. If you have leaks in your game, you will lose money here for sure, and not make it back from most of them.
2. aggro monkeys that realize that aggression wins money, but make a lot of fundamental mistakes. You need to know your fundamentals so that when these players make errors (and they do a lot) you can maximize your winnings. If you don't have these basics (and I use basics to mean ALOT of info that you would normally learn at lower limits), then it doesn't take much to lose a large sum with a marginal hand (like the one above)

But like I said - it takes time to learn this stuff, and having $400 in front of you when just one mistake can easily cost you $200-400 is no small amount. I hope you don't end up on a rough patch, but like I said in my first post to this thread - this hand is something you should really know if you are playing at this level, so I suspect you may be in over your head.

Anyway - good luck.