View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Way ahead way behind scenario?

yea here I was trying to take a line from stox's book in the section playing when you "are way ahead or way behind but don't know which". Here he writes "for example QQ on a K83 flop...against aggressive opponents-particularly tight-aggressive-in this scenario, you should often play passively and check-call all 3 streets. The reason is if you did raise with the best hand, your opponent could make an easy fold, winning you the minimum when ahead, but losing you more when behind." (page 189)

I don't know how applicable this scenario is to a semi loose, mid day, low limit game. But because I had no reads or stats on villans, I figure that it would be best to assume that they are on the tighter side, and also on the more agro side. Because I assumed this I figured by checking the flop this would most often indicate multi-way to a thinking opponent that I did not have an Ace and that I would likely hold a mid pair, therefore he can bet his J or TT with confidence because he thinks he is value-betting, or perhaps he would be much more apt to try for a bluff, albeit multi way there is still a small possibility that he would go for a single or double barrel on the turn/river. As for the caller in between, I would think that he would raise an ace somewhere along the line between the flop and the river, so I can rule out that he holds that. That was my reasoning going through this hand. Is my logic faulty in this application?

edit: I did not note that Stox recommended check-call, obv. meaning playing OOP, I/P I assume the line of firing out all three streets is good HU but is it the optimal line multiway?