View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 04:01 AM

Default Re: How do you adjust to this type of limit player?

[ QUOTE ]
do the same as him and u will beet him

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be clear that I can't beat him by copying his play, all I can do is to break even this way, but maybe that's not too bad.

Anyways, his play is all about position and his basic philosophy seems to be tied to the Theory of Restricted Choice. This means continuation bets on the flop have a 2:1 chance to be meaningless and checking the turn has a 2:1 chance to be true weakness.

Looks to me that it should be possible to beat him by checking the flop, checkraising the turn with 2nd pair or better. Note: This is the street where his bets are meaningless.

It is important to keep the pots small in order to cut down his implied odds and not to reward him for his loose pre-flop play.* This means just calling his checkraises and never going to war with him. Don't fight for the initiative against him.

Also one should play hands with showdown value ace or king high against him, because he will bet every river if he smells weakness. So raising with JTo or 98s in the CO with him on the button is more or less out of question.

Last but not least, seat selection is of utmost importancy. The difference between sitting one to his left or one to his right is huge and that's not only because position on him is important, it is also about stealing the blinds. With this guy to your immediate right, you will never win the blinds without a fight and he usually triggers a chain reaction of callers which also cuts down the chances for your top pair hands.

That's my analysis so far...

* that's debatable, the alternative being to pop him pre-flop to punish his loose play