View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 11:08 AM

Default It\'s time for the R Word...

So the game I run will eventually lose its home. I would like to ultimately move it to a space of its own, and to that end I need some sort of sustainability. Even for the time being, I'd like to get help on funding all the little things I do that help make it the fabulous game it is.

So, yeah, this is a rake thread. Well, a "charging players" thread, anyway. People at my game are by and large in favor of a house fee, but I'm not sure what's good or fair. Here's what I'm thinkin'...

Thursday cash game. .25/.50 and .5/1 spread. There's usually $2-3k in the room, 15-25 players. I'm thinking of $2 off the top for those who buy-in to the $40 game, $5 off the top of the $100 game. Additionally, anyone who leaves with more than $200 kicks in another $5. Anyone who moves up games pays the additional $3.

Tuesday tournaments. This is a extension of what I've tried periodically instead of a cash game. We'd try different sorts of games, mix it up. I may do some 8-week series here and there for freerolls, WSOP packages, etc. For most of those, $50 buyin (or $45+$5 if it's for a points prize) and $10 vig.

For both of these I provide snacks and a stocked bar of hooch/soda. BYOB, but I have coolers and ice. Plenty of weed floating around.

I'll also move the big monthly Thursday donkament to one Sunday a month, probably increase the stakes and vig. Right now I charge $15 (aside from a few initial grumbles when I bumped it up from $10, nobody has any problem), which gets three or four beers, soda, and 1/3 to 1/2 a pizza, and it funds the hooch for the regular games. Having it on a weekend daytime would allow a much larger tournament, even deeper stacks, longer rounds, more tables, etc (40-50 people should work well). Probably pop that to $20 vig but have catered food, kegs, etc.

How does this seem to people? I'd really like to charge the least amount that reasonably does what I need it to do. I would be working fewer hours in order to put these on, so I need it to be something that will fund itself and give me some carrying around money. Tho' I'll be reinvesting most of it right back into improvements for the game, and ultimately finding a permanent home with even better upgrades. So those playing would have to understand that I'm just one guy and I need help maintaining something we've all come to cherish.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Horror stories?