View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Re: HELP! (personal/low content)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You seem like an angry person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? What makes you say that? I thought my post was entirely reasonable, even if I disagreed with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the vibe I got. It was only half serious though. You seemed determined to lecture for no real reason. You weren't really "disagreeing" with me or offering anything of substance to the discussion, since I concur that I'd be in a much better situation if I had just handled this responsibly 3 years ago.

Clearly we hold different axioms regarding whether might makes right, or whether it doesn't necessarily, but that's beside the point. No one is passing any judgment here because discussing the moral philosophy of civic duty is not the point of this thread; they are just offering humble help for how I should proceed because I asked for it.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not entirely sure why being away at college prevented you from doing jury service. Did you not spend significant time at home in MA during this period?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the date they summoned me for was during the semester. I realize in your world I should have arranged a different time to SERVE MY DUTY, but in my world this is no duty of mine, and my only mistake was a practical one.

My point was that the issue (as it relates to criminal penalty) isn't whether or not I did my duty, but just whether or not I filed the paper work like I was supposed to (because, I could have been lawfully excused if I wanted to be). So in other words, your rant was basically irrelevant to the criminality of my situation, because "neglecting my duty" would have been no penalty at all if I just filed a formal excuse.

So all you are doing is lecturing in principle on why, according to your axioms, honorable civic duty is necessary. Your criticisms of what I did logically extend to the people who find ways to be lawfully excused, or who are dismissed.