View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 02:34 AM

Default Re: I Want to See That Card: A Variation

[ QUOTE ]
My big blind. I'm in seat #1. In seat #2 is a fairly tight player, very, very nice guy, a gentleman. He open-raises.

All fold to seat #8 on the button. A first-class jerk. Arrogant and condescending when he's winning (which isn't too often) and a championship caliber bitcher and moaner when he's losing (which is too often). He cold-calls.

Small blind calls and I call with 9h-8h. Flop comes 9-7-6. Small blind checks, I bet, UTG calls, buttton/jerk folds, small blind folds. Turn is an 8, giving me top two, but making the board 9-8-7-6. I check and UTG checks behind.

River is a Q. I bet, he calls. I show and he shows a Q and mucks.

Now button/jerk says, "I want to see the other card." UTG says "Why? I conceded and mucked." The other card is right in front of me, not in the muck, as UTG had slid it forward, from seat 2, which put it right in front of me in seat 1. Button says, "It was bet and called I have a right to see it."

I mean, really, what difference does it make? What does he think he has? He showed a Q. He's relatively tight. Board was 9-7-6--8-Q. He's either got A-Q, K-Q, or Q-J(s), for heaven's sake, he open-raised UTG. The only other possibilities are Q-4, Q-3 or Q-2, impossible that he both open-raised UTG with those or called a flop of 9-7-6 with them.

I quickly take the card and slide it into the muck. Of course I get yelled at by the button/jerk. I say nothing.

A while later, UTG wins a big pot from the jerk with 7-7 when the jerk had T-8 and the board was 8-8-7--9-J. So the jerk flopped trips and rivered a straight, but lost to UTG's flopped full house. As UTG is raking in the rather sizable pot, I say to him, just loud enough for the jerk to hear, "There, he got to see both your cards that time."

I was pretty proud of that line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you were wrong in almost every action you took in this description. Of course this is only my opinion.