View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Official WGA Writers Strike thread.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Studios should be able to hire whomever they want. If a good script comes in from a kid in Canada or Illinois or Romania, so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude,

It's not about justice. It's about fighting. The bosses are fighting for their piece of the pie, and the workers are fighting for theirs. Don't act like a union free america is somehow "normal" and union industries are somehow abnormal and bad. Both are just different results of the class struggle.
If you wanna say you love bosses, and that bosses should be able to have their own associations, but workers shouldn't be able to have their associations, then say it. Clouding your anti-union viewpoints in "free market" rhetoric is BS though, and I gotta call you on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call me on whatever you want. Unions in general protect a small group to the exclusion of others and drive up overall costs.

As an article in the LA Times about the Teamsters (another of the fine unions) one driver said "I don't get residuals, why should the writers?".

What is wrong with the studio paying a flat-fee for a script and owning it in perpetuity if that is what the writer is willing to give up? Maybe one writer can negotiate for 10 cents of every DVD sales. All power to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

ughh read the [censored] thread already.

THERE IS A VERY SPECIFIC REASON WRITERS ARE PAID RESIDUALS.

there is also a reason they are called residuals and not royalties.