View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Dogfighting, Sports memorabilia and now genetics.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do you know genetics is the REASON why a race is testing at a higher IQ than another? That is, unless you can prove that genetics is 100% responsible for intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

This proposition is a false alternative. Why does genetics being responsible for intelligence have to be a binary value? 100% or 0%? It might be 3% or 98%. The fact that science makes a correllation to it having some effect seems to offend you. I would suggest that you exercise some emotional intelligence, set that offense aside, and consider the question rationally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's that "science made a correlation to race having some effect on intelligence" that is offending him...moreso that "science" appears to be only testing for the correlation between a certain genetic grouping compared to another based on a prejudice and a desired result, as opposed to evaluating other possible correlations that may have a much stronger relationship...such as eye color, hair color, or how much hair you have on your back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, its generally true that race, as defined by skin color, is a silly way to group people. But even so, studying differences between groups of people who were historically isolated from one another has more scientific merit than studying groups of people who share some arbitrary characteristic. Race is sort of a shorthand for "having origins in group X who lived all by themselves at location Y for a hundred thousand years allowing for genetic differentiation." It is arbitrary in the sense that skin color has no more impact on intelligence than eye color, but it is non-arbitrary in that skin color is a better rough tool for grouping people into ethnicities than eye color. Its still obviously imperfect, and that reminds me of my favorite rebuttal to people who argue that race is a real thing because "even a 5 year old can tell which people are black and which ones are white just by looking at them!" And that is: Nearly everyone thinks Tiger Woods is black, LOL. Dummies.