View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: NL CASH: article by me in 2+2 magazine

[ QUOTE ]

I believe cwar once said that you can never judge someone's HU play from pre-flop and I generally believe that to be true. I think it's the optimal strategy to mix up your pre-flop ranges so that patterns aren't detectable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's better to alter your preflop play based on your opponent's reactions to it, rather than to vary your play for the sake of being unpredictable. If your opponent is making some sort of consistent mistake, then you should pound on it, not try for some sort of unexploitable mix yourself.

Also, most guys who make weird preflop plays are not experienced regulars trying to be unreadable, they really are telegraphing their hand strength.

[ QUOTE ]
The same could be said about "passive drawing". I love it. If you call OOP with a set just the same as when you are drawing or have TPTK, 2nd pair or even bottom pair, it is very difficult for your opponent to counter even with the positional advantage. All of your hands look the same and your opponent is going to start checking a lot of turns IP where you can capitalize.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer checkraising a wide range to checkcalling a wide range, and I think it's a stronger move, but the more aggressive your opponent the more checkcalling becomes the nuts.

But let's get back to the point of the article here, which was identifying weak HU opponents: guys who checkcall gutshots to dummy straights on the flop and draw for the pot on the turn are just bad, and they're not hard to find.