View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: A Critique of Rothbardian Natural Rights (sorta long)

[ QUOTE ]

No. And I don't believe moral statements about "right" and "wrong" can have any objective or absolute truth to them. I do make moral judgments, but I do not claim them to be objective fact, nor based on a system of underlying logical premises (such as "it's always wrong to use force" or whatever). I think invading Iraq was wrong, because there were no good reasons for it and we killed lots of people, destroyed lots of [censored] and I could go on, but that should be enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree with the formation of the US government for the same reasons.

[ QUOTE ]

I said dismantled the military. Also the fact that the Shi'ites are a majority is significant, because the country is transitioning from power being held by the Sunis to power being mostly held by the Shi'ites. But the loss of military/police security is probably the biggest reason for the chaos.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a larger military presence there now then before. the military now is also much more technologically advanced and well funded.

[ QUOTE ]

That's not a fair comparison. We'd have to compare the current Iraq to an Iraq in which we invaded, occupied the country, dismantled the military and then propped up a new dictator.

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure what you're getting at here. we're comparing democracy to dictatorship.

[ QUOTE ]

How can they be enforced if not by law?

[/ QUOTE ]

they should be enforced by law. laws should be private though. david friedman rights a lot on this topic for one and id suggest checking out some stuff on law and economics. there are certain natural laws to property rights though like ownership of our bodies.

[ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling some of those 'unique ways' are going to include murder and terrorism.

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently you think people blow themselves up for no reason. i tend to give them more credit. there is substantive evidence that all major acts of terrorism are politically motivated too btw.