View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: A Critique of Rothbardian Natural Rights (sorta long)

[ QUOTE ]

your first comment was justified. your continuance is no more than nitpicking.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe your response to my first statement was to say I was "playing semantics".. hence why I continued defending myself. But I'll stop now.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Statement one: "Iraq was wrong, because the system was forced.
Statement two: Invading countries and trying to force them to have the sort of government we want doesn't work well.
I don't see how the two statements are equal in any way. Do I really need to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to elaborate because i think this will be very telling.

[/ QUOTE ]
The first statement is a moral judgement. The second statement is a pragmatic judgement. The first statement is a judgement about all instances of using force. The second statement is much more specific and speaks only of invading countries.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying going to iraq to instill democracy was right then? If not then why?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. And I don't believe moral statements about "right" and "wrong" can have any objective or absolute truth to them. I do make moral judgments, but I do not claim them to be objective fact, nor based on a system of underlying logical premises (such as "it's always wrong to use force" or whatever). I think invading Iraq was wrong, because there were no good reasons for it and we killed lots of people, destroyed lots of [censored] and I could go on, but that should be enough.

[ QUOTE ]

we can already compare saddam's iraq to a democratic iraq. i dont think theres a clear winner and that pretty bad for democracy proponents.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not a fair comparison. We'd have to compare the current Iraq to an Iraq in which we invaded, occupied the country, dismantled the military and then propped up a new dictator.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I thought invading the country, overthrowing the government, dismantling the army and occupying the country created the chaos.

[/ QUOTE ]

They didnt dismantle the governmnet. They transformed the government from saddams style governance to democracy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I said dismantled the military. Also the fact that the Shi'ites are a majority is significant, because the country is transitioning from power being held by the Sunis to power being mostly held by the Shi'ites. But the loss of military/police security is probably the biggest reason for the chaos.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious how you would bring about these property rights, since they can't be enforceable by your philosophy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said they can't be enforced. The problem today is that they are breached.

[/ QUOTE ]
How can they be enforced if not by law?

[ QUOTE ]
The US should dismantle the government, return public assets to the citizens in the form of equal equity shares. Taking away the government will stop the social rule and free individuals to run their social and economic lives in their own dynamically unique ways.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling some of those 'unique ways' are going to include murder and terrorism.