View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Back to some TUF discussion.

Wow, how wrong was I about Serra's coaching? Definitely seemed like he at least got his guys to stick w/ the plan and stay motivated better than Hughes did.

I was pretty impressed by the farmer guy being able to keep fighting through the choke attempts at the start. Especially impressive was when he got out, it seemed like he had tons of energy left, no real recovery time needed at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hughes got really unlucky that J-Roc had to fight George. George, J-Roc, and Mac are the clear top guys in this group. Everyone else has potential, but are extremely inexperienced. I often forget that at this point, these guys have only been on the show for 3 or 4 weeks or something. It's gonna be really hard to get people to be on the same page and listen to you from the corner, when they may only have 2 or 3 fights under the belt.

I've only watched all of season 1, so I can't compare this to many of the other seasons, but the show has been pretty "meh" so far. There hasn't been much house drama (apparently Dana actually came by the house one day and said these guys were the most depressing group TUF's ever had), which is fine by me because I don't really care to see a bunch of meatheads get hammered and breaking [censored]. I mean, some of the most drama-filled scenes include Barrera's crazy girlfriend and George not waking up his teammates.

The fights haven't been that great either. We've seen a couple exciting brawls, but it's very clear that none outside of the big 3 are really worthy of being in the UFC right now. Again, tons of talent and potential, but a lot of guys need polishing.

The ratings for the show have continued to slide since season one until it's hit a baseline that I don't think will get any worse. If they want to make the show interesting for the next couple seasons, they should scrap the traditional reality show formula of getting a few guys that they are interested in and filling out the rest of the cast with personalities. Just go out and get some good fighters and let them fight. Maybe even scrap the house concept and just have guys stay in Vegas, get their back stories, show them training, etc.