View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: How to not get ripped off in your line of business...

I'm a banking consultant. A few things you should know - none of this is rocket science, but you'd be surprised how many people are making these mistakes:

1) Do not overdraft your account. Ever. With interest spreads decreasing, banks are looking at fee income to make up the difference, and that means overdraft charges. They generally won't waive them anymore, and it's a lot easier to go NSF (non-sufficient funds): checks generally post high-to-low, etc. Be aware of how much money is in your account and how long transactions take to clear. DO NOT OVERDRAFT.

2) Don't leave any money in a B&M bank savings account. You're typically getting <1% return on this cash - absolutely no point. Get those funds in a high-yield online savings account ASAP. In fact, you really don't need more than emergency money in your checking account; the online savings are almost completely liquid, ATM card and everything. I know people who leave five figures in checking accounts as a matter of practice. It's seriously burning money. There is no upside to this whatsoever.

3) Don't be afraid to shop banking. Unless you have a pressing reason to stick with your current bank, if you're unhappy, move: get to a bank the consultants haven't reached yet. Don't pay for checking, ATM service, etc.; the average Joe should be able to bank more or less for free.

4) If you're assessed a fee that doesn't jive well with you, call and complain. As mentioned above it's becoming harder and harder to get fees waived, but in most cases it's possible. These charges are not set in stone. Call and speak to a teller, and be persistent - you can probably get it reversed.

That's about all I've got for now. Don't overdraft your account. Seriously. You can get the money elsewhere.