View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: So my brain is(n\'t) weird? (names and memory)

[ QUOTE ]
This is probably a pretty common phenomenon but I am absolutely terrible with names.

If I meet someone new, I shake their hand, introduce myself, get their name, but for the life of me I can almost NEVER remember their name. Literally ten seconds after asking their name, it has completely vanished from my memory. The only time I seem to remember names are when the person's name is foreign, or I make it a point to keep asking for their name. I have found that constantly repeating their name, at all available opportunities has helped me remember some people's names.

Some tricks I have found that help me remember someones name are to associate them with someone or something else. For example, someone last weekend introduced themselves as "Banks". After hearing that I immediately associated him with the rapper Lloyd Banks and for some reason his name stuck. If your name happens to be Chris, Mike, Steve, Jason, Sarah, or Julie God help you however, as it seems your name is just too common and I won't for the life of me remember your name.

I think I am the worst at remembering names when it is a girl, with a common name, that I find attractive. For some reason, my brain just spazzes out and the whole interaction just turns into a blur. My brain literally starts scrambling the moment after she tells me her name trying to remember what she just told me.

I have found that a lot of people will remember my name when I make them feel guilty about forgetting my name. Perhaps this is the universal trick that needs to be applied. Make a big deal about how ridiculous it is that they forgot your name and their brain is tricked into thinking it is an important data set that needs to be retained for future access.

I think unlocking the secret to why I have such a problem in remembering names (and how to fix it), yet seemingly have no problem remembering a face; could vastly improve my ability to retain data and information that I don't find interesting, or important, yet would help me in my every day life.

I'm just curious if anyone has had my problem, but managed to find a way to correct this seemingly common brain deficiency. If so, would you care to share some useful tricks or exercises one could learn and apply in the future?

ED: Edited subject to specify which brain weirdness.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm exactly the same. i also would like to hear about some solutions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]