View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Re: the purpose of optimism

I think the best mindset is in the middle. I call it “Middlemism”. But, it’s been discussed by many as not being results oriented--just playing each hand as best we are able.

In a related topic, I have this notion of the Right Amount of Effort. And it exists as a tightrope.

Slackers don’t try enough. Lombadi-ites try too hard. You see the latter more often. Try too hard (desperate) to get a date, job, winning poker session, etc. In life trying to hard often repels the result we want. The correct solution is to walk the tightrope between the two extremes.

Putting together Middle-mism and The Right-Amount-of-Effort-Tightrope, you will have a mindset that wants to win, but doesn’t try to hard or too little.

My best poker sessions occur when the poker is becomes seemingly secondary. When I am BS’ing with the other players I my mind is relaxed. Suckouts by Villains are no big deal. I make better reads. Players aren’t out to get me as much because I am one of them instead of the couple of players at the table that are quiet and serious.

It’s basic Caro and Negreanu. Just play and have fun, yet play well. The money will follow.