View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: November \"I FORGOT MY MANTRA\" Low Content chit-chat thread

It was Rememberance Sunday here in the UK last Sunday. We commemorate our war dead on the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, with a 2 minute silence (sometimes a minute, depending where you are). Even supermarkets announce it, and people stand in silent contemplation.

Two of my sons took part - one is a scout, the other a cub scout - and we all attended the church service, and they marched to an outside service after that as part of their units.

As part of the church service, they read the names of all those fallen that came from our little village - 96 men, many with the same surnames, so brothers or cousins I guess. Dead from both World Wars - and the first World War was the longer list by far.

Do you guys in the US have any Rememberance services or traditions?

Here, it's common for the service to contain the 'last post' bugle and a lowering of flags, and someone reads:

When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Your Tomorrow We Gave Our Today

There were war widows at the church and outdoor ceremonies too (from recent conflicts too), and they cried of course, but I hoped that such rememberance, where a large number of the village came to pay respects, helps them somewhat.

It's common in England to have permanent markers or crosses in villages to remember the war dead - originating from the devastation the First World War had on the British population I think. I'm guessing the same is probably true for Aussies, New Zealanders, the French, the Germans and a lot of the Commonwealth, actually. Does the US have that?