View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: How to tell girlfriend about amount of money spent playing poker

[ QUOTE ]
You are claiming that I am lying to her for 2 years +. While I don't give a dollar amount, she knows I won a 14k+ tourney online among other things, and stating a $200 win or loss for a session isn't a huge stretch for 8/16, which I was playing up until June 1st. June 1st I started 20/40 full time, and she went to Argentina for the semester August 15th, and gets back December 15th, so I haven't really been lying, just not announcing my session to session results, since I talk to her once a day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Look, I've been down the road of "I'm not really lying, I'm just exaggerating (or understating)" many times. Same with the "I'll start being completely honest when circumstances are right" road. You know where they lead? To bigger exaggerations, and, eventually, blatant lies. Plus then when you do come clean you have to explain why you didn't trust the other person enough to just be honest from the beginning.

Whether you consider it lying isn't really the issue. She's going to feel lied to, and based on what you've told us she's justified in that feeling. Would you want your partner to systematically mislead you about something in her everyday life because she thinks you wouldn't understand?