View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Dumb question about extracting value

[ QUOTE ]
All these if's make a shove or at least some type of raise the way to go imo here on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, obviously I'm going to raise, that's not the question. The question is two-pronged, and goes like this: 1) How does raising to 590 versus 1190 - or, for that matter, the timing of my raise - affect villain's likelihood of getting it in on this flop? 2) Assuming I can affect villain's behavior, which would I prefer he do?

With regards to #1, I would have thought shoving ends the hand right now more often, while a small raise entices villain to continue or play back at me more often. But everyone seems to think the opposite: shoving looks weaker than a small raise, so I guess I was wrong. (BTW, if I insta-shove, does that change your answer?)

With regard to #2, from jalex's post, it looks like I was also wrong about preferring to end the hand now. I should have worked that out more thoroughly before posting; I'm embarrassed to present such sloppy math. I do think my point becomes valid at some stack size, but it's probably around 80bb deep, not here.

Anyway, I insta-shoved and he insta-folded, so he probably had AK/AQ.