View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 05:33 AM

Default Re: [150NL] 88 Flopped set 550bb\'s Deep

[ QUOTE ]
I never level :P
Yes I understand that it's the action that leads to the bet on the river that is important. But I got the impression from some of the responses that (ignoring previous action) they would be less likely to call a 1k bet into a 1k pot than a 5$ bet into a 5$ pot.
Just pointing out that this mindset should be lost as soon as possible because I know I struggled with this a lot (still do)

tl;dr: The absolute size of the final bet should not influence the decision making but the way the betting escalated the absolute size should

[/ QUOTE ]

shpanko just said said it shouldn't matter in theory but it actually still should. A 400 bb bet into a 400 bb pot is the same at micro stakes or nose bleed stakes, and both are different than a 5 bb bet into a 5 bb pot at any level or a 100bb bet into a 100 bb pot at any level.

I would be less likely to call a $1k bet into a $1k pot than I would a $5 bet into a $5 pot (like statistically less likely because my range for calling the first is tighter than the second) if both were at 1/2nl. This is not a bad habit or a mindset we should strive to break; it is the correct way to play poker.

but at the same time I would be more likely to call a $2000 bet into a $10,000 pot if I was playing 25/50nl (because once again my range for winning that pot is larger).

[ QUOTE ]
tl;dr: The absolute size of the final bet should not influence the decision making but the way the betting escalated the absolute size should

[/ QUOTE ]

but the absolute size of the number of big blinds should. Another example-- should you get all-in preflop with QQ for 2,000 bbs? Usually no. Should you get all-in preflop with QQ for 20 bbs? Every time. The absolute size of big blinds IS and SHOULD BE affecting how you play.