View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: The Poker Mom goes Kettlebell

The only jewelry I ever wear is my wedding ring. Pretty low key when it comes to that kind of thing.

[ QUOTE ]
So you might want to do some practices out on the lawn, at least until you get comfy with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now, the living room is my victim. Swinging in the direction of the love seat. Outside won't be an option in the Great White North for much longer.

[ QUOTE ]
Pay attention to your grip, and if your hands get sweaty or start to feel weak, dry off and maybe do the rest of the work-out outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I need to get some chalk?

[ QUOTE ]
Remember that the power of the swing comes from your hips, and you should feel the force being directed down through your heels. The arms do almost nothing. This is a great one for your butt, a big plus for the ladies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can feel it in the back of my thighs today, but not to the point of being uncomfortable. A little through the shoulders, but I think that's just from keeping control at the top of the swing. I'd pretty much feel any arm work at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
When it comes to presses, you might want to stick to some simple ones at first, and get tricky later. But if something is fun, that keeps you motivated, which counts for so much. A tip for presses: keep your shoulder low.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did get those armbands. Not a fan of the idea of that thing slamming into my forearms.

So what's a simple press to start with, something like a 1 arm military press?

[ QUOTE ]
Try to pick a balanced routine. Do at least one upper body push, and one upper body pull, and then supplement as desired for your core and legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm clueless. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Would you mind giving examples of what types of lifts would be upper body push and upper body pull?

[ QUOTE ]
If you get a little courage and want to try something fun, try the windmill and the turkish get-up. The latter is a great core exercise and works on shoulder stability.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll look into both of these.

Thanks for the help!