View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Flop B

[ QUOTE ]
1) Do you fold, call, or raise (and why)? If you raise, to what amount? Putting aside a fold for the time being, there are certainly merits to both calling and raising so please spend some time on your thought process here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is our best option. We maintain position on our opponent on future streets. In addition, if our opponent does have our hand currently beat, we're going to get called or pushed against if we raise.

I wish our opponent had raised us more here. His raise could mean any number of the following:

1. I don't have anything, but I don't think this flop hit you either, let's see if I can steal it from you.

2. I hit a piece of this flop (perhaps top pair, perhaps a pair and straight or flush draw, etc.) Do you have an overpair?

3. I flopped the straight and I'm trying to induce you to overplay an overpair or get upset at my small raise and come back over the top of me.

4. I flopped a flush draw and pair and I'm willing to go to the felt with it, but I'm also hoping my small raise will slow you down on future streets and allow me to catch up if I'm behind.

5. I hit my set and I'm hoping you overplay an overpair or flush draw.

[ QUOTE ]
2) His range of possible hands is obviously pretty huge but if you care to speculate feel free?

[/ QUOTE ]

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He could also have 5/5 or 7/7, although much less likely given our cards.

[ QUOTE ]
3) If you call or raise and he calls, do you have a plan for future streets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily we'll have position on future streets, forcing our opponent to make the first move. Depending on what cards fall, we can proceed from there. There's such a wide range of hands our opponent could potentially have here though, that we should proceed with caution and not get overzealous with our hand.

It's unlikely that he puts us on two pair at this point, so our hand is well disguised. But, what is he putting us on? Is he trying to steal from us, does he believe we missed the flop, etc. This is going to prove reasonably difficult and interesting.