View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Re: FT Hand vs Shortie: What is your play?

No it's total spewing on his part and terrible play overall.

I might check a set, KQ or Q8 behind on that flop. With the call station in the hand I am not likely betting a hand that doesn't have a decent chance to win at showdown vs a random hand, so I'm checking almost everything else, though I would probably bet AKJT, AQJT or something similar. There are not that many hands I would bet/fold. The reason for the substantially less than pot bet is that I felt that it was very likely I had the best hand but was more concerned about the call station slowplaying than the shortstack. I bet enough to allow the shortstack to raise and feel he could push me out.

His thought process is simple "He can't have KQ because he checked the flop and bet pretty small on the turn. I should raise because he shouldn't call without KQ". Of course his play made his hand fairly transparent and I could call with a lot worse than KQ.

I don't have the hand history handy, but back in April or May, I called a reasonably tight player down in a 400BB pot with the ass end of a straight after he potted all three streets into me because he would not ever lead the flop with a straight. There was another hand I posted on shottakers a few months back with somewhat similar call on the river http://shottakers.blogspot.com/2006/...-new-lazy.html (scroll to the end of the post for the hand).

Most of these kinds of calls are based on simple deductions. I posted this pretty basic hand because I think a lot of people on this forum are very lazy in terms of actually reading opponents and play ABC omaha far too often.