View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: ***Official Ron Paul video thread***

[ QUOTE ]
I think this has been briefly mentioned in this thread, but what's with the campaign always sending out e-mails for delegates? Are they planning on flooding every state with Paul-supporting delegates and then voting for Paul no matter what? I don't understand how it works - is it like the electoral college?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its somewhat like that. My girlfriend is petitioning to be a delegate in TN, but I don't quite understand everything. Apparently you need so many delegates per state to actually get the nomination despite the primary votes.

per wiki:
Depending on state law, when voters cast ballots for a candidate in a presidential caucus or primary, they may be actually voting to award delegates "bound" to that candidate in the national convention. [1] The rules for the awarding of delegates vary from party to party, state to state, and election to election. Not all delegates are selected by primaries and caucuses—both of the two largest parties (Democratic and Republican) have provisions for "superdelegates" chosen outside the primary system.

If no candidate wins a majority of delegates for a particular party during the primary season, that party's nominee is chosen by their convention. This method of nominee selection has not occurred since 1976, when incumbent president Gerald Ford narrowly defeated Ronald Reagan.