View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: How to tell girlfriend about amount of money spent playing poker

[ QUOTE ]
if winning or losing $100-200 is a deal breaker for you or her than you have no sort of relationship worth taking seriously in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know if this is as much the case as sometimes people just aren't compatible.

my personal opinion, you need to sack up and come clean pronto. do it BEFORE you guys move in, as that will just make the situation more difficult when it comes to a head. i'm 32, but i've known alot of women in my days and there is one common characteristic that most any female of reasonable intelligence, self-esteem, and self-respect has in common: they hate to be lied to. i think if you sit down with her, explain the situation, and deal with it in a straightforward honest manner you are going to come out ahead in the long run. let here make the decision for herself whether or not she wants to be with you. hiding the truth from her is going to set a precedent that could infiltrate the core of your relationship and make here skeptical about EVERYTHING you say. in other words she won't be able to trust you, and a relationship without trust isn't a relationship worth having anyway.

sit her down(or take her to a really nice dinner), and ease here into the fact that you deal with more dollar volume than you have indicated to her in the past. a little tip, if you don't have a problem with white lies(which given your situation you don't seem to [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) tell here that you've recently began playing higher stakes or something. even doing this is dangerous, however, because as i said before females cherish trust(rightly so IMO) in a serious relationship above most anything else. if she finds out you weren't completely truthful with her, it could cause some serious damage later.

if you really care for her, do what's best for you both. come clean. if she gives you an ultimatum you have a decision to make. if she's someone you plan on making your wife, examine your priorities. if your own needs/wants are more important to your fulfillment than she is, then it eventually wasn't going to work anyway. plus, she might surprise you. you never know. good luck.