View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Fold trips on the river?

[ QUOTE ]
I raise 4th

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason that I didn't raise 4th was that I felt seat 3's most likely hands were a pair of 6's or a four flush. If I raise Seat 4, Seat 3 will correctly fold a pair of 6's when drawing nearly dead, and I win an extra bet from Seat 4, as he is very passive and would not 3-bet without at least two pair, which he probably doesn't have. If I call, I keep seat 3 in the pot and collect a small bet from him when he has 6's (the same bet I collect from Seat 4 by raising), and give myself an opportunity to potentially collect multiple big bets from two players on later streets with trips or a well-concealed boat. If he has a four-flush, then I will be in a good position to build a pot on 4th by just calling, since he will most likely raise, Seat 4 will call or reraise (probably just call), at which point I can 3-bet or cap. If I raise and he has a 4-flush, he will just call or raise. If he raises, Seat 4 might even fold tens when faced with two bets (which I don't want), and if he just calls, Seat 3 will also just call and close the betting. In either scenario I lose value.

Another consideration is long-term deception, as I would usually just call in this situation with most of my hands. Calling makes this and future hands more difficult to read.