View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Why isn\'t every economist an Austrian?

[ QUOTE ]
I notice a lot of times that ACists here also try to say things so that they won't appear heartless, despite the fact that heartlessness is necessary to macroeconomic development (after all, the results of our economic decisions will make an impact on whether large groups of people prosper, fail, starve or die). I don't understand why there is an apologetic group claiming that private charities will help the homeless under anarchocapitalism

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, given that you then said this:

[ QUOTE ]
the whole point is that a capitalist system selects against unproductivity, thereby alleviating the problem of poverty. Worrying about how we subsidize the unproductive is like worrying about what's going to happen to the poor tapeworm living in my intestines after the surgery.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to soften up this language a bit, if you're truly here to convert people. I understand you probably don't intend to sound this way, but the second quote above, if read the wrong way, sort of borders on "capitalizm will finish what Der Furher started". I understand part of embracing eugenics necessarily implies some form of forceful intervention, which I suspect you'll disavow, but saying what capitalism will 'select for' and then comparing unproductive people to parasites might not win you many followers (for obvious reasons), hence why ACist apologists may want to at least feign some level of care for the downtrodden.