View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 05:19 PM

Default help a clueless car owner (battery issue)

Cliff notes: I recently bought a new car battery. It keeps failing and I don't know why.

I bought a used car about 4 months ago, and when I took it to a mechanic for a diagnostic, he said the battery would need to be replaced pretty soon. So about a month ago I bought a new battery at Auto Zone. Because I'm a klutz, I spilled some of the acid on the way home, so I took it back to Auto Zone and had them re-fill it and make sure it was charged. They said it was still in good shape.

So last Saturday I had to make a trip and the battery was dead. I took it to Auto Zone and had them charge it again, it worked fine for the day.

Today I had some errands to run and my car wouldn't start, again. This was the first time I'd tried to start it since Saturday night (I don't use the car that often). I took it to Auto Zone and had them charge it again, but this time my car still won't start. This morning the battery was totally dead, now it just kind of sputters and stalls.

Any advice? Did I ruin the battery when I spilled some of the fluid, and should just get a new one even though the guys at Auto Zone tell me my battery should be fine? Or might there be something else wrong with my car?