View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Results: Am I ready to move up?

1. Read the faq
2. i'll help anyhow

The sample size is such that the results provide little indication as to "readiness." Since it's possible for one to play perfectly and run a -ROI over a hundred SnGs imagine what the upside variance can look like?

Devin's right the sample size is all that's relevant wher the stats are concerned- Think of it like this over 100 SnGs how many times did you end up 6 handed or less with a coinflip or 60/40 for your stack? I'm pulling this # out of thin air but the point is made all the same, say it's 30 times and for the sake of simplicity it balances to exactly 50/50. Can you imagine winning 20/30 one time and 10/30 the next? Convert 10 cashes to 4th or 5ths and see what happens to your roi? Now lose a few more of those same 60/40s itm and convert a few 1sts to 3rds and the like. Now do both at the same time...

Similarly the bankroll angle can't be adressed because it is a comfort thing- the lower the # of BIs the higher the risk of ruin. I play with a 50 BI roll minimum but usually more like 100-200 because I am risk averse (at least as much as one who plays as much poker as I do can be anyhow). So for bankroll, "readiness" is entirely personal-