View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Sample size and BR Requirements for limit omaha 8 or better

I think those variance ideas are off. The bigger the better. I just started getting into FL O8 ring games, and have played 80% 2-4 FL FH, 20% 3-6 FL FH, very basic tight strategy (less than 30% flops seen, don't leave home without A2xx/AAwx, etc.) and started with $1K, about 250 BB with 1K behind if needed. In the first 3 days I fluctuated between -$400 and +$200, and have gone as low as -$500. Mind you I am playing 4-6 tables 4-8 hours per day, approx 1K-1.5K hands/day, but the variance is still pretty high in O8, much more then I had thought.

I also believe that it will vary depending on your limit played, and the aggressiveness of your opponents. I feel 5-10 and up to have a higher variance, as players are much more aggressive, pumping their 1 way hands to max value v.s. drawing hands. Lower limits have much more calling, with players waiting till their nuts are not counterfeited before getting too much money in the pot.

"how much depends upon your style of play and if your regular game is loose or tight. A maniac needs a much larger bankroll than a rock."

The styles of your opponent’s plays are just as important as the style of your own play. Unless you are playing HU or SH O8, or against super passive opponents a 'maniac style' is a tough sell in O8.