View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: September\'s Bells and Schools Thread

[ QUOTE ]
And to political correctness. I think it is actually a call to speak accurately and in a civilized manner. It seems those who don't like PC language are usually upset that they can't express their bias's, prejudices and phobias in the crude manner they are used to. It is easier to make a point using using emotionally charged words than words that are accurate and civilized.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely. However, I think we often mean at least two different things by "political correctness." Your statement addresses the ignorant among us who either don't know better or simply don't care whether or not anyone would take offense with their thoughless words.

The other form of "political correctness" involves much more, and I'm not sure I could do it justice in any sort of brief response. In general, the second variant seems to include things such as humor in many forms, racial quotas, political causes, and perhaps a general tight-assedness.

For example. Is the following joke funny or racist?

Q. Why were so many Blacks killed in Vietnam.

A. Because every time someone yelled "Get Down," they all stood up and started dancing.