View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Things to do and see in Memphis?

The stadium being built by the same people who did Camden Yards makes it pretty much similar to about a zillion other new-ish major-league and minor-league ballparks all over the country. That group is building ballparks all over the place.

I think it's definitely a good place to see a ball-game but wouldn't rate it that spectacularly. Kind of lacking in character imo.
Jim already gets a better baseball experience in STL at the new stadium there.
But since he's a Cards fan I guess going to the AAA games in downtown Memphis could certainly be fun for him.

Anyway, since the minor-league season is over anyway it's kind of a moot point.

Obviously the bigger touristy things in Memphis include Beale Street and Graceland as well as Sun Studios and the Rock and Soul museum.

I've heard that the Graceland tour is actually pretty interesting and worthwhile even if you're not an Elvis freak.
I personally never got around to it.

I've never heard anyone talk about Gus' chicken.
I've heard of it. But it's not a conversation topic imo.
Have heard about a zillion conversations about "try the ribs at such-and-such" over and over though.

I'm not a huge fan of Rendezvous but enough people are that you may want to check it out anyway.
I very much prefer the ribs at the Blues City Cafe on Beale.
Corky's doesn't blow me away either.

If you're coming to MEM in November or later then a Memphis Grizzlies game at the Fed Ex Forum can be somewhat enjoyable too. It's right there in the Beale Street touristy area.

You can also consider a U of M football game but they're not exactly a big deal. The stadium isn't really near downtown or Beale Street though.

Overall I don't really think MEM is that fantastic in the 'stuff to do' department.
Beale Street on a weekend can be fun if you're interested in going out at night and stuff like that.

Some of the other ideas mentioned like going to Jillian's or seeing a minor-league baseball game aren't exactly unique to Memphis.