View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Wynn Dealers Unionizing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the first negotiating points was to revisit the tip agreement. "That tip sharing, we definitely want that back in our pockets," Laux said.

[/ QUOTE ]

its plausible that with the union the dealers could actually earn less at first due to a failure to renegotiate the tip share, walkouts, work stoppages, and other tools the union will use to help the dealers in the long run, but hurt them greatly in the short run. It seems as if the dealers joined the union with a false sense of financial security. Sure the union will help them all keep their job security, but their dues might be as great as any "raise" they would have gotten by not joining the union. Wynn could still hold his ground at the risk of a strike, there are plenty of dealers in LV would would die to work there as a scab just to get the opportunity to make as much as the Wynn dealers did even with the tip sharing structure.

In short - the war between the dealers and Steve Wynn isn't over, this was just the first major battle (which Steven obviously lost) - there will be more battles to come, and some of them might be bloody with families losing their source of income during a walkout. Not pretty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be so quick to discount job security as an important union benefit. And I wouldn't assume that joining a union automatically means job actions, walkouts or strikes. In fact, if you look at the history of organized labor you will find that only a very small percentage of strikes have occurred as a ratio of the total number of contract negotiations. What typically happens is that both sides negotiate and come to an agreement where each side gives up something(s) in exchange for other thing(s). The employees benefit because they can negotiate as a group and extract better terms and employers benefit by having a happy, satisfied workforce with known costs that they can factor into future planning.